More painting! Aside from a few touch-ups here and there, this update finishes the paint job on the saucer.
Since masking the outer ring wasn't going to work, I was left to freehand it, for multiple coats. Yay. It actually wasn't too bad. Here I've started painting.
And here it is after.... many more coats. I lost count. I just kept going around until it looked good.
Fortunately, the underside didn't have to be as precise. The paint's still a little wet in this photo.
I started doing a little bit of weathering and then I got anxious and went ahead and put the bottom saucer half together. Here it is with the ramps 'n stuff.
Here's a better look at the bottom side of the saucer, looking up the ramp. I'll be putting a light right at the top there.
Finally, I went back and finished the weathering with some light acrylic washes. I didn't get any pictures of the process, because I was so into doing it. It's one of those things that, if you're not careful, you can easily overdo.
This turned out to be a contraversial decision, because it turns out that I'm the only one in the house who likes the weathered look. Good thing it's my saucer.
I mean, come on, this thing's been kicking around in space since the 1950s.