New Spaceship - This one Ends in a Cliffhanger

As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I picked up a new spaceship model for my Shelf of Sci-Fi. The Pegasus Models "Apollo 27" rocket.

I can't take this design seriously enough to give it an authetnic NASA color shceme like the one displayed on the box. There's no way a real engineer would design a ground launch vehicle remotely like this. The amount of shear on those struts....

But the silhouette is very cool and "retro 50's" I think, so I went to keep with the period and the playful feel and give the whole thing a candy red/canary yellow color scheme with some black accents.

Behold, my inspiration:

Way more cool, right?

Here's a look at all of the parts on their sprues. There aren't many. I've been really enjoying giving simple kits a lot of attention and ending up with awesome results.

There are just a few different sections of the ship to assemble. I went ahead and took everything off sprues and cleaned up the pieces (yeah, there are few enough pieces that I can do this - that's how simple this kit is).

Test fitting the (presumably) SRBs:

Next up, I gave the cockpit and astronauts a quick painting and assembling, a simple black interior, grey seats, and white space suits. As you can see, the clear acrylic broke a bit at one point, but it doesn't matter, because it's hidden and there's still enough of it left to get a good fit.

Next up, I started on the boosters - gunmetal grey and black:

Once those were done and set aside, I started on the yellow nose cones. I love how this color looks on the model:

See that booster on the left and how it's not as shiny as the other three? This is Important. I'd had difficulties getting good coverage with red paints in the past and thought that since I didn't have a primer, I'd give the model a coat of white paint before applying the red. Both paints are Tamiya Acrylics so I didn't think this would be a problem.

I finished the white basecoat on the boosters and set the model aside for the night, because I wanted the white undercoat to dry super well.

So I finished up for the day by taking the pieces that were finished out and giving them a shot of gloss sealer. It doesn't show up well in this photo, but they looke nice.

A couple of days later, I decided to start applying the red paint to the boosters. I had made a terrible mistake. The white undercoat ruined the paint coverage for the red and mixed with it (despite being very dry) to make a pink.

At first, I stuck with it, telling myself it would get better on the second coat.... but it was awful:

So awful and so uneven, in fact, that I decided to just strip the paint off of the boosters, touch up the black struts, and start over:

I don't know what caused the issue. Maybe it's because the white paint was a matte finish and the red is a gloss. I've used the white as a basecoat for other colors before without any problems. Even though both paints were acrylics by the same company, something about them just didn't play nicely together, chemically.

And that's where I'm going to leave you in suspense. I started repainting them since taking that photo and it's going much better. It's still going to take a few coats of the red to look right, but I'm able to apply the coats much more evenly now.

Kelli Shaver

Kelli is a full-stack developer with over 15 years of experience. She's also the lead developer at StickyAlbums and the co-host of the Terrifying Robot Dog Podcast.